10 Common Electrical Problems At Home

Your home is full of electrical appliances and equipment. We rely on electricity so much on a daily basis that everyone is bound to face an electrical problem at any point in time. But fret not; you can respond safely to these power issues and restore the comfort and safety of your home by hiring a licensed electrician. These professionals can accurately locate the root of the problem and resolve any issue you may have with your home’s power system. If you happen to experience any of the following power problems, make sure to seek assistance from an electrical expert in Singapore.

1. Electrical Spikes and Surges

The cause of the problem is hard to detect, but usually it happens shortly after a storm. If you don’t have surge protection at home, your appliances could be severely damaged, and this could be very costly to fix. To avoid unexpected expenditure, ask your electrical expert to install a surge protector to guard your appliances and equipment from electrical spikes and surges.

2. Electrical Shocks

A minor electrical shock can happen when plugging in or turning on or off an appliance. In such instances, the problem is easy to determine—it’s either in the appliance or on the wiring. To know where the problem lies, remove the appliance and plug another device in its place. If mild electric shock still occurs, it’s likely that the fault is in the wiring. Exercise caution by letting an electrician services diagnose and fix the issue.

3. Circuit Overload

This problem usually occurs when the circuit breaker works too hard. This happens with household power boards as almost everything in the house is electric. Be extra careful of circuit overload especially when living in an apartment or in a house with the kitchen in the same area as the lounge room. See to it that unused appliances and devices are unplugged, especially phone chargers, which we often leave plugged on. Even when your phone isn’t connected, the charger still uses electricity, and therefore can be a potential cause of electrical hiccup or worse fire. So, be sure to take it off the power source when not in use.

4. Flickering Lights

Flickering lights, a very common household electric issue, can be dangerous as they could mean a faulty bulb or a sign of wiring system failure. Although usually deemed minor, this is a situation that should not be ignored. If you’re experiencing it, the safest decision is to call a licensed electrician, especially if your home is built more than 10 years ago.

5. Electrical Dips, Sags, and Outages

Electrical dips and sags and power outages can be caused by appliances that consume a lot of power when turned on. To protect the rest of your home appliances from sudden on and off, ask your Singapore www.powermax.com.sg electrician about installation of UPS (uninterrupted power supply), which works as a power back-up for a couple of minutes—enough time to properly turn off all electrical devices before the electricity completely goes out in case of a power outage.

6. Faulty Circuit Breaker

A circuit breaker is a safety power switch that protects your appliances from system overload. It plays an essential role in your home’s power system as it protects the electric circuit from damage caused by over circuit or short circuit. If the breaker is faulty, it can pose a threat to your home’s safety. So, if power failure becomes a regular circumstance at home, get your circuit checked and fixed by an electrician services provider as soon as possible.

7. Sparks or Burning Odour

These electrical problems are a sign of faulty wiring, and should be addressed right away. It is advisable to unplug your appliances and devices, and to switch off the main power source of your home until a professional electrician arrives. This prevents further damage and possible fire hazard.

8. Dead Outlets

If you have reset the breakers and still have the same problem, you probably have poor connection somewhere in the circuit. Your best and safest solution is to contact a licensed electrician in Singapore. They are the ones who can safely trace the fault and efficiently fix the issues of your non-working outlets.

9. Hot lighting Fixtures

Every now and then, check your ceiling fixtures. Use your hand to carefully inspect the lights, focusing on checking its temperature. If you find that your light is quite hot, it could be a sign of electrical problem, and you may need to call a professional electrician to have it fixed. LED or fluorescent light is a good replacement instead of standard light bulbs as they produce less heat and are more energy efficient.

10. Out of Control Electrical Bills

If your bill seems to rise steeply, have your home’s electrical works examined by an expert. He may recommend some replacements and upgrades that will help with your power consumption. It could also be that your appliances need a bit of cleaning. For instance, a filthy air conditioning unit works twice as hard compared to when freshly cleaned. Appliances that are beyond their maintenance schedule are likely to work hard, which results to a higher power consumption and bill.

A good electrician is a well-rounded home electrical professional. May it be switch or receptacle replacement, panel upgrade or any electrical diagnosis, a certified electrical expert is the only person who can effectively and safely handle any power issues you may have at home.